Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Designer Interviews: David Longshaw


Hi there, animals!Katie here, Gabby's fashion sidekick. Whilst Gabby's away on tour, I'm going to be posting some interviews with a few of the designers who lent us pieces for the music videos we filmed last month. This will also involve leaking some super exclusive, never-before-seen backstage shots of Gabby!
First up is David Longshaw; designer, illustrator and fashion writer, David is multi talented and already one of the winners of Elle's talent launch pad. We borrowed a very theatrical, feathered neckpiece from David, which you can see Gabby wearing here. (corset by Lee Klabin, skirt by Jacob Kimmie)

Photos by Gemma Hall

Here's a little interview I did with David.


What's your earliest fashion memory? 
Making clothes for my teddy Hands in pockets Harold when I was very little.

And the first piece of clothing you ever made?
A rather naty purple jacket and trousers of Hands in pockets Harold.

If you could dress any personality, (dead or alive) who would it be? 
Maude the fashion fabric mouse ( I created whilst for my final collection at St martins out of cashmere suiting  Richard James of Savil Row gave me) She's the editor of MAUDEZINE- she's been on the front pages of the LFW newspaper 'the daily', on vogue.com and a variety of other publications.
Actual person-wise I would say the late Isabella Blow - who asked me to meet her at Tatler when I was in my second year at St Martins and wore one of my pieces during LFW.




If you hadn't become a designer, what might you have been? 
Possibly a 3D stop motion film maker/animator- I love creating characters and realising them in 3D.

Whats the best thing about working in fashion?
Getting to be creative everyday. And the uncertainty of everything

And the worst?
Also the uncertainty of everything

 What are your goals for 2011?
To be as creative as possible.

You can see a sneak peak of David's new collection on Fashion156- looks like another stunning neckpiece!