Wednesday, November 17, 2010

KONICHIWA TOKYO!

Helloha!
I'm afraid this is another 'better late then never' blog... mainly cos I've been in the studio working on the next album but also because I lost the lead for my camera and having no photos for my blog is like having a main meal without meat- not complete!!

ANYWAY (sorry vegetarians for that -don't hate me!)

My trip to Tokyo was AMAZING! I went there for a very special show with a brand new non profit organisation 'Tokyo Tomorrow' which is run by some rather exciting Japanese musicians including, our host, Fumio Ito who was actually a mega famous rock singer from the band Kemuri and luckily for us a wonderfully generous and supportive guy- he chose me to go out and perform at his launch party and I am very thankful that he did!




I have wanted to go to Japan for ever...and it didn't dissappoint!
Tokyo girls are colourful, playful and a bit like me on stage so naturally I LOVED it!

The shops were all amazing and everyone put so much time and energy into the way they looked it was very refreshing to see personal style everywhere!


I was there just in time to see Halloween in Tokyo and they had some great costumes- there was Mr & Mrs Santa, Vampires, Fairies, lots of cartoon characters and the cutest kids all dressed up with toy pumpkins!!!



My manager and I found out where they had got all their costumes- 'Tokyu Hands' -the strangest mall in the world...


These are SPEAKERS!! YES!
And these are mushroom and radish costumes!! VERY YES!

Oh and the gig was great- I wore a bespoke piece by the incredible Kumiko Tani made out of recycled products such as crisp packets and a giant butterfly in my hair!

Now my favourite thing to do in Tokyo is KAREOKE!They have small booths with cheap, drink, food and Stevie Wonder & Queen singalongs!
I became rather fond of a few great Japanese sing-a-longs too!

A little birdy tells me we are going back in February and I can't wait!!!

In other news- back in my home town of London we are preparing for the climax of our UK Tour which is going to be a HUGE show at THE TABERNACLE, Notting Hill
Not only am I playing with the whole lot of my lovely animals but also a big brass band and a string quartet, also Hungamunga are DJing and have a craft area to get stuck in AND we have a very special extended Gabberdashery area too!
I hope to see you there and its ALL AGES so bring some kids (discounted tickets)- I have treats for them too!
TICKETS HERE

We got some nice press recently too that I'm posting in case you are interested- its mainly for Gabberdashery and this week we did a Supermarket Sarah wall which I will talk about when its up very soon...
Le Cool - 11th Nov
Time Out - 17th Nov

Making Magazine- Issue 2

 Also I fully suggest you have a gander at this BEAUTIFUL magazine (have a look for yours truly in there!)



And that's it folks!
Love and lots of sushi
Xox Gabyo xoX