Thursday, August 12, 2010

Gabberdashery Calling!

Photo by Jo Lowes of me in the Gabberdashery shop @ Standon Calling
wearing an amazing dress by Inbar Spector and 'Gabby' brooch by Love from Hetty and Dave for Gabberdashery! Of course my hair and makeup was beautifully crafted by Jennifer Nash.
.....

What a weekend! Not only was I at Standon Calling as a musician - playing a full band set on their massive main stage on Sunday but also as a fancy dress judge, a model (lots of photoshoots this weekend) AND A SHOPKEEPER! I was lucky enough to have my very own shop in the Dickensian row of street boutiques - so GABBERDASHERY was alive and very very well!!
Katie and I piled a little hire van full to brim and arrived at our shop aghast with excitement - WE HAD OUR OWN FRONT DOOR! We didn't know what to expect - a festival type open shop was what I had in mind but no- it was beautiful, special and very Gabberdashery! We spent hours making it look beautiful - flowers and birds sat upon antique Tiffany lamps and lined the wicker mannequins and lay out all our wonderful stock and rails of my very own 2nd hand clothes for sale! It was rather like my bedroom but with a lot less mess and everything was for sale...




















more gabberdashery pics here


We stocked wonderful pieces by Rosa Bloom, Merrimaking Hoods, Love from Hetty and Dave(who made Katie and I our own personalised brooches which you can read about in their blog), Creme Nouveau, Bbel, Hatastic, Her Curious Nature, Alice Gabb (who also shop-sat for us while Gabby was playing-thankyou!) my sister Nicky Young had her brilliant TShirts, the gorgeous smellies of The Green Grocery, infectious art by Tinsel Edwards, Twinkle Troughton, 'Gabby Young customised merchandise' by Vicky Sennett of Hungamunga, as well as cakes from Love Bakery and zines by Ladyfest. And of course a rail of my own clothes - I did a massive clear out just before the festival!


Here's a idea of what we got up to courtesy of WinkBall.Com



And a great video of a stripped down unplugged set we did in the tiny Rough Trade tent filmed by Gareth Bradshaw:



A lovely picture by Holly of our main gig:

This summer is such a success here are some more press links for your perusal -
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/the-barometer-still-corners-beck-wavves-yuck-lofifnk-gabbyyoung-and-other-animals-darker-my-love-glasser-2044368.html

http://ireadfaux.com/charles-darbyshire/new-blood-gabby-young-other-animals/

http://www.thebeatsurrender.co.uk/weekly/reviews/gabby-young-other-animals-were-all-in-this-together/

http://www.xtaster.co.uk/publiccontent_Article.aspx?id=8996


And I would love your help again - if you have a minute- we have been nominated for the best UK female album of the year and if we win (which would be rather lovely) we are giving the £50 prize money to Cancer Research, as it is very close to my heart.
http://www.wearsthetrousers.com/2010/08/introducing-the-venusno-penis-music-prize/


I will leave you with my favourite picture of the weekend - By Jo Lowes...
Hope everyone is a happy chappy!
Love and Loganberries,
Gabberdashery
xox